Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wishing on the Stars

This is definitely going on my list of top favorite cards!

A coworker commissioned me to make a card for his daughter's birthday and he mentioned her having a black lab, so this is what I came up with. I used the Dogs clear stamp set from Inkadinkado that I had gotten awhile back on sale at Joann.

My favorite thing about the card has got to be the strips of SU! Night of Navy cardstock punched with my new Martha Stewart Stars edge punch. It's just SO gorgeous! I love how clearly defined and colorful each star is and how there's also a zigzag edge. I also picked this particular dog from the stamp set because it looks like he's looking up at the stars and "making a wish." ;)

I stamped the dog in black StazOn on white Papertrey paper and then colored him in with Koh-I-Noor colored pencils in shades of blue, green, and yellow. I then went over the pencils with my Sakura gelly roll pen so that it would add a nice shimmer to the swirls. I just left it for a few hours to dry completely before cutting and adhering the dog to the card. I added some sheer blue and silver ribbon I found in the dollar bin at Michaels to finish off the bottom section.

The pretty pattered paper is from Target from awhile back. I'm glad I stocked up on the different patterns available, because I can't find mat packs like these anymore! Not only were the papers gorgeous, but they also featured an adhesive backing, which made it really easy to stick on cards. The only downfall is that if you mess up, there's no going back! They're like sticky strip and really stick to the surface you apply them to.

The sentiment is from Papertrey's Mixed Messages set and the circle is from Boxes, Tags, & More. The flower and leaves are from Creative Expressions and are adhered to the tag using mini glue dots. I finished off the card by using rhinestone stickers I got from Michaels as the center of the flower and on the upper corner of the card. I used to use loose rhinestones with glue, but these are SO much easier to use and a lot cheaper than I thought they would be! What I also like about them is how they're all adhered together in one long glue line. I just snip in between them and then use my tweezers to take them off the sheet and place them on my card. It makes it really easy to take groupings of them and have them perfectly lined up too! ;)

No comments: